logogold

HOLY MONASTERY OF SPILIA

design1

HOME

REGION

HISTORY

BUILDINGS

PAINTING

TEMPLE

ICONOSTASIS

RELICS

DEPENDENCIES

 

signwhite

 

CONTACT

LANGUAGES

 

signwhite

 

© Copyright :

HOLY MONASTERY

OF SPILIA

THE MONASTERY'S BUILDINGS

signblack

THE MONASTERY HAS TWO KATHOLIKA (MAIN CHURCHES OF THE MONASTERY). THE FIRST IS SMALLER AND CELEBRATES ON THE HOLIDAY OF THE ASSUMPTION OF MARY AND THE SECOND AND LARGER ONE CELEBRATES ON THE HOLIDAY OF ZOODOCHOU PIGIS ('LIFE GIVING SPRING')

acobbled court with two springs is located on their south side and they are surrounded by two-storey wings of cells which add a fortress like flavor since they are built on a rock. The oldest is the one on the south which was recently renovated, a devout offering of the pilgrim Vasiliki Kokorakou from Karvasara (1847). The first thing the pilgrim sees after the south entrance is the small church which is an elegant building with three apses according to the single-nave Athos style which is common in the region. The exterior dimensions are 4.80x6.30 and its height is 4.85m. Its ceiling consists of a dome structure and specifically of two arches north and south which end at arcs and one central vault which corresponds to the strongly curved part of the side apses which projects outwards and is covered by a separate ridged roof. The apses of the church have three sides exteriorly, the windows are few and small and the cobbled roof and wall construction from local semi-carved stone add a traditional feature to the churches of Pindos and also to the large church of the monastery. Many katholika of Argithea and Agrafa have been built in the same style which has been named the style of the Pindos monasteries or Karaiskaki style (which is the most characteristic example) and the ones closest to this are the monasteries of Vlasio, Katousio (in Anthiro) and Petrochori while the ones of Siamo (Oxya), Mezilo (in Drosato) and Kosti have some smaller variations. This style, which is more efficient than the four pillar style, covers the needs of small katholika and offers richly structured interior surfaces which help develop the basic principles of the classic program of the Agiorit dome style. The church of Assumption does not bear a date but its structural elements indicate that it dates to the 17th century and most possibly around the year 1677 which is mentioned on the sigillum.

signblack

signwhite

IMAGES

signwhite