logogold

HOLY MONASTERY OF SPILIA

design1

HOME

REGION

HISTORY

BUILDINGS

PAINTING

TEMPLE

ICONOSTASIS

RELICS

DEPENDENCIES

 

signwhite

 

CONTACT

LANGUAGES

 

signwhite

 

© Copyright :

HOLY MONASTERY

OF SPILIA

signblack

HOLY MONASTERY
OF THE TRANSFIGURATION
OF VRANGIANA

the monastery is situated opposite from the village Vrangiana, and according to the inscription, its catholic structure was completed on 11th July 1655, after the financial contribution of the Priest-Monk Parthenios. The building was made in 1797 with the contribution, expense and expenditure of his eminence of grace Saint Radovisdios, mister Kallinikos the today's chief of the prelacy, and father superior mister Chistoforos. During the Turkish Oppression, the Monastery endowed 5 indigent girls per year, paid the teacher of the village, and gave the building plots for the construction of the church of Saint Demetrios and the primary school, while the settlement of Grimpiana was built in an extent of the monastery's ground. Many fighters of the War of Independence were accommodated here, while Karaiskakis, Katsantonis and the Mpoukouvalei used the monastery for their replenishment. Finally, there have been accommodated 54 persecuted people of Souli the passage of which to Parga was facilitated by the Monastery. On 18.12.1862, 17 Turk-Albanians entered through a window into the Monastery and massacred the 6 monks, the superior father Konstantinos, and the priest of the village Athanasios. After the Royal Decree of the 29th January 1907 (Greek Official Gazette 19/29/01/1907), the Monastery became part of the Monastery of Spilia as a Monastery Dependency. It is worth mentioning that in this monastery are kept the Holy Relics of Saint Panteleimon, Saint Trifon, Saint Vasilios (Basil), Saint Averkios and Saint Jacob (Iakovos) the Persian.

vragiana

It celebrates on 6th August.

signblack